Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I'll Stay Awake-Twenty One Pilots

I just very recently discovered these guys (like 2 months ago) and I have been obsessed to an almost unhealthy degree. Why? Because I have NEVER EVER EVER heard a sound like Twenty One Pilots. Yes, I know that I don't know anywhere near enough about music and I know that I haven't listened to even 5% of the world's available music, but in my years and in my own short life, I have yet to come across a sound as unique as Twenty One Pilots.

They are made up of two guys, Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun, who I assume are in their mid 20's. There is currently not much information about them because they are a fairly new band (they formed in 2009) and they seem to be very private. They are described as an American pop duo but I dont think their sound has a label it would fit under completely. They have some pop aspects, there is a little rock, and a little hip-hop and rap. Tyler Joseph is the group's vocalist and also plays the piano while Josh Dun is the drummer.


I stumbled upon these guys while looking for something new and boy did I get what I was looking for. Their lyrics are unique, clever, different, inspiring, and just plain good. Their songs switch between different genres of music from one second to the other. It can start off with rapping, then it goes into a pop song but has a rock inspired bridge or drum solo. I love that you don't know what to expect and that their songs sound like a few different songs combined into one.

Here is "Ode to Sleep," a perfect example of the combination of different sounds. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment