Monday, October 25, 2010

Mr. Magic

I received the 1 1/2'' Chi Flat iron as a gift for Christmas about 4 years ago. I have never been more pleased with a product as I have been with my Chi. I call it The Magic Wand. It works miracles for my curly hair. I usually blowdry it and its all puffy and crispy but one swipe of the Chi and my hair is shiny, silky, smooth and straight.

For the past 4 years, I have used my Chi at LEAST once a week since I do my hair weekly. There are some weeks where it gets used everyday that week because my hair isnt cooperating or because its humid out. The Chi goes up past 300 degrees farenheit, so my hair has no choice but to look beautiful. Also, I find that there is very minimal burning since the plates are ceramic. I even used it to creat loose curls the ends of my hair last week and it worked pretty well. Like I said, my Magic Wand has never let me down.

For 4 years, it has provided me with wonderful results. For 4 years, it has never given me any issues. For 4 years, I have trusted and confided in my Magic Wand. But I think it has started to give up on me. This Sunday, it did not want to turn on. I had to plug it into several outlets and press the red "reset" button several times before it worked. My baby is dying on me....

I am so scared to burn it out that I have not turned it back on again. The radiators come on at night since it is getting colder. This causes the temperature in my bedroom to skyrocket to 100 degrees so I sweat in my sleep and that causes my hair to wave. When I woke up this morning, I did not dare turn on the wand to fix my waved hair. I am scared that it wont turn back on for me. I am not ready to let this iron go. I cannot accept that last Sunday would have been the last time to use my wand. I didnt get to properly say goodbye.

I know that I can just replace it with another Chi, but these things are expensive. They run anywhere from $150 to $200 depending on the size and where you get them. I dont have that money right now. Also, I dont want to part with the one I have. We have a history together. We have been through countless summers and winters; springs and falls. It got me through college, it helped my hair for my first day of work at IBM, it has moved with me from apartment to apartment, it gives me the confidence I need when I feel I look hideous and only my hair can save me.

I realize that I have an unhealthy attachment and that there are more important things to worry about in this world, but in the midst of my drowning, I choose to worry about this. It's a simple, unimportant worry. I can't worry about anything bigger at this moment so this is where I am directing my stress. So I ask, what is a girl to do now?

1 comment:

  1. wonderfully written.

    I have no emotional attachments to many objects, but you made me feel love for this Magic Wand.

    I hope all is well with it.
    8)

    ReplyDelete