Friday, February 19, 2010

Funnel Cake

The funniest/scariest thing that has ever happened to me was the day after my senior prom. It was tradition to cut class and go to Six Flags that day, so of course thats what I did. I went with a VERY cool group of friends and we had a blast that day. We got on so many rides and just had a genuinely good time (at least this is what I remember).

We had all decided that before we left we would all get funnel cakes because, come on, who doesnt love those? So towards the end of our visit, we all got on the Free Fall. Back then, it was an old ride with rusted metal (i dont know if they still have it there) and it only fit 3 people at a time. So we all took turns in groups of 3. When it was my turn, my group consisted of myself, my sister and this guy named Courtney who, now that I think about it, was so obviously gay lol.

So we get on the cart and it is supposed to just free fall like 50 ft or something like that in a few seconds. We are all nervous as hell because the cart free falls without warning so the anticipation/fear was killing us. Usually, it takes about 15 seconds for the cart to free fall once everyone is strapped in. A minute had passed and our cart didnt fall. We didnt notice the amount of time that passed because we were all so nervous and anticipating the fall. We were too busy clenching our stomachs and shaking just waiting for this thing to fall at full speed.

Another minute passes and another and we finally realize that this cart is not gonna move and we are stuck like 50 feet in the air. To any normal person, this would be something that would cause them worry or even fear. We all know that I am NOT a normal person. I was scared all right....scared that the funnel cake stand might close while I was stuck up there and I wasnt gonna get a chance to get one before I left.

I wanted a funnel cake dammit!
So when our friends waiting for us at the bottom realize we were all stuck, they start shouting up at us to see if we were okay. I remember distinctly saying "Yeah Im fine! Shantel go get me a funnel cake! Im not leaving without a funnel cake!" In my mind, that was all I could think of. I had that craving and it was gonna be fullfilled even if Shantel had to climb up 50 feet in the air and bring it to me.
20 minutes later some technicians come and they attach a bungee cord to the cart and they open the door and have us climb out onto a long stair case on the side of the ride. It was a bit scary because we were suspended in mid air and the staircase wasnt exactly right next to the cart. It took us about 5 min to come down those stairs. They gave us free water bottles and a pass to get on whatever ride we wanted without having to make a line. How thoughtful of them....as if I was gonna get on another ride before eating my funnel cake.
Some of my friends used our pass and got on Nitro a few times. Me?.......I inhaled a nice warm funnel cake :)

2 comments:

  1. That's a great story! lol I tihnk I would have done the same thing!^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO. i forgot about that. thanks for the memories.

    and i don't even remember a courtney.

    ReplyDelete