Friday, August 6, 2010

Do The Hustle!

In wake of my epiphany about enjoying life and having fun, I signed up for unlimited dance lessons for a month in the city at a place called Dance Paradise. They offer classes for Salsa, Merengue, Bachata, Cha Cha and Hustle. My first time going was yesterday. I made it to the 8:30pm Beginners Hustle class.

Now, its not the hustle that everyone is thinking about. Its more of an old school salsa....well, its the dance that salsa originated from. Its a very graceful dance that consists of simple steps that get repeated. Its definitely not the hustle from the 70's that first comes to mind.


Anyway, I went with two of my co-workers and Victor. Yes, he agreed to come and that made me so happy! There were only two guys there and he was one of them. The rest were women of all ages. Since the dance steps are different for the men, the two guys got private lessons from the female instructor while all the girls learned together with the male instructor.


I had such a blast trying to learn how to turn and fall back into step. It was so much fun!! I had such an awesome time. Nobody there was judging you, the instructor didnt make you feel stupid, and it was just all fun. Even Victor had a good time, and told me he wanted to go to the Beginners Salsa. I will definitely be taking advantage and going a few times a week. I wanna go to the Bachata/Cha Cha class.


Going to dance lessons is something I would NEVER agree to do and thats the exact reason why I did it. And so far, I think it's gonna be a great decision. It's amazing how this one simple deviation can make such a difference in me. This little step has made me so happy and it has made me want to keep trying new things that I would never do. It felt great to throw caution and insecurities to the wind and just....dance. I just wonder, what else have I been missing out on?

2 comments:

  1. O M G!!!! I am sooo jealous! Delilah and I were talking about that a couple of months ago. I was telling her that I wanted to take salsa lessons.

    Please tell me the details of this Dance place.

    Oh and soo glad you enjoyed the class. Also yes, there are many new things you need to do, and I'd like to experience some of them with you. 8)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Click on Dance Paradise above, it has a link to the dance studios website. It would be awesome to do new things together!!!

    ReplyDelete