Sunday, June 13, 2010

I Wish You Would Step Back From That Ledge, My Friend

I had my iPod on shuffle the other day and all of a sudden the song "Jumper" comes on. This song is by a band called Third Eye Blind. Does anyone remember them and their really popular song "Semi Charmed Life" back in like 1998? I do!

I used to LOVE this band. I listened to their first album "Third Eye Blind" non stop back when I was like in middle school. They were one of the great 90's bands (along with Nirvana, Sublime, Blind Melon, The Verve Pipe) that we took for granted back in the day. Anyway, I've been listening to that album again (I still have it somewhere) and it is just a great album. The lyrics in each song are so touching, clever and heartfelt. I actually remember most of the lyrics even after 12 years!

I think my favorite song is "Motorcycle Drive By" I feel like the lead singer, Stephen Jenkins, had a realization that this girl he was after will never love him and he has to just get over this relationship. He feels lonely but at the same time he is so in tune with his loneliness that he feels alive. I cannot express how beautiful this song is to me. It reminds me of a period in my life that feels like it was so long ago.

I am ecstatic to reconnect with this album and to check out some of their new music.

No comments:

Post a Comment