Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Why Wont You Live For Me?

I've been listening to some, what would now be considered old school, 90's music and I think I'll start sharing some good songs in hopes that it will bring back memories or I could introduce people to what I listened to back in the day. I noticed that I liked a very wide variety of music back then, just like I do now.

So, does anyone remember The Fugees and their big hit Killing Me Softly? I've been obsessively listening to some of their lead singer's, Lauryn Hill, songs off her "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" album. Back in the day, this album was revered. It was like a 90's masterpiece, and I have to agree. There are some excellent, EXCELLENT songs on this album. Lauryn Hill is the motherf*cking shit in this album.

I'm not sure what happened to her but I believe she peaked with this album because her new stuff does not compare. One song that I truly love is The Ex-Factor. I think everyone can relate to these lyrics. Its about that one person that you know you need to walk away from but at the same time you need them in your life. Its about truly loving someone to the point where they are the only one that can hurt you. Its about falling into a cycle of love and pain. At the end, she asks "why wont you live for me?" and the way she says this brings tears to my eyes. Its just brilliant...


3 comments:

  1. She quit the industry to raise her children...i think she has 9 or is it 12 kids. All i know is that it's an obscene amount of children for one woman to bare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good God! No wonder she fell off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this song! "I keep letting you back in/How can I explain myself/As painful as this thing has been/I just can't be with no one else" ---ahhh yes I can relate

    ReplyDelete