Monday, November 22, 2010

If You Give Up New York...

I havent been writing as often as I like because I have been busier than usual at work. I have like 4 blog posts started but I have not had a chance to complete, so I am gonna try to complete them now.

As you all know, I went to see Kings of Leon last week. I have been obsessed with their new album "Come Around Sundown" for the past month. One song that really stood out to me was "The Face" particularly because of the following lyric:

"If you give up New York
I"ll give you Tennessee
The only place to be"
I just love the meaning behind this lyric. It is truly a fair proposition. He is asking someone to give up where they are from, a place they love and feel comfortable in, a place they call home. However, in return, he will not let this person feel lost or misplaced, he will give this person his home (Kings of Leon are from Tennessee). He knows that he is asking for so much but he is offering just as much in return. I think this is an ultimate declaration of love on both sides. To give up part of who you are, only to receive part of someone else. The thought is daunting and yet so beautiful. I am so impressed that with this simple lyric, I can feel these emotions.


Another reason this lyric resounds with me is that it makes me really think about the enormity that is New York. There truly is nothing like it in the entire world. I always say that I dont want to spend the rest of my life in New York, and that is true, but this has made me think about what it would feel like when I am finally ready give it up. New York is all I have known. It has been one of the factors in my life that has molded me and shaped me into who I am today.

New York is not an easy place to live in. Its expensive and noisy, it's an all or nothing type of city, dog eat dog, survival of the fittest and not everyone is made for a place like this. But while it has its bad qualities, it is also booming with diversity, culture, lights, sounds, music, people, fashion, cuisine, etc. There are things seen here that you wont see anywhere else and I have finally learned to appreciate the fact that I have had the opportunity to experience this wonderful city. I have also realized that I am not yet ready to give it up....


No comments:

Post a Comment