Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Declaration of Love



So I've been quite obsessed with a Death Cab for Cutie song called "I Will Follow You Into The Dark." Its been replaying in my head over and over for a few days now. Besides the fact that its a great song, I wonder what it is that appeals to me.

I interpret the entire song as a declaration of love. Someone telling their loved one that they will always be with them, even after death. "Love of mine, someday you will die/But I'll follow close behind/I'll follow you into the dark."

This person believes so strongly in love that they are willing to follow someone into the abyss as long as they get to be with them. "If there's no one beside you/When your soul embarks/Then I'll follow you into the dark."


I just find this so...endearing. Such a creative way to express how much you love someone without having to say "I love you." I guess the appeal of this song is that its a love story and it touches my cold, black heart in some way. It stirs a warmth that is healthy to feel at times. Maybe I'll play this at my wedding, if we ever have one. I'm not one for big weddings, so it will be small and intimate and I think this song will be beautiful and fitting because the person I will marry is the reason I know my heart still beats.


On a side note: I think Im going to learn to play the piano :)

No comments:

Post a Comment