Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Envy on the Coast

I went to see Envy on the Coast on Sunday night (Dec 27th). It was in a small theater in Long Island, it kind of looked like a high school auditorium and we were sitting in the fifth row on the side. The stage spun slowly so every side got a front view at some point. And we were so freaking close. It was so cool!

I gotta say that Envy is pretty impressive live. Their performance is better than the album and that says a whole lot. It Their lead singer, Ryan, has so much energy and he has some lung power. Their other singer, Sal, also has a good voice and is really surprising. He was dressed in such a preppy outfit and then he opens his mouth and you are blown away. Also, Brian, who plays guitar and does some vocals doesn't even look like he is in a rock band and hes so mellow and laid back when performing. Its an awesome contrast.

Here are two pics. We were not allowed to take pics in the stadium so I snuck a few and some video too. My friend took a few more :)

Envy on the Coast

Ryan and Brian
Anyway, they played a few songs, including two new ones that sound great. They also did a Paper Rivals cover song as their encore. The opening acts, Vinny from I Am the Avalance was so fucking adorable. He was this shy, timid, soft spoken guy that claimed that he was so nervous he was shaking but when he started to sing, I was blown away with his lung power. I definitely became a fan. As Tall As Lions also opened up and I gotta say that I LOVE this bands style. They came out dressed in button downs and vests and slacks. It looked so nice. They also have a guy who plays the trumpet who I temporarily became infatuated with. I mean how cool is that?
My friend took pics of the opening acts....only because I didnt get the courage to break the law until Envy came out lol ** ;) Thanks Dee**


Vinny :)

As Tall As Lions
I was a little disappointed that Envy didnt play my favorite songs, which are "Starving Your Friends" and "Lapse" but they were so awesome that I couldnt hold it against them. They did do "Artist and Repetoire," "The Gift of Paralysis," and "Tell Them That She's Not Scared" among others, which are incredible songs (actually the whole Lucy Gray album is excellent) but I would have loved to hear my faves.
"Starving Your Friends" and "Lapse" are the songs that made me a fan (so did "Mirrors") because I am a sucker for a good ballad. Also these songs have such exceptional lyrics that you cant help but love them. Its songs like these that make me live for music. Here are my favorite lyrics from these songs:

"Starving Your Friends"
........
Cuz I fall three times as hard
If its for nothing at all
You all seem twice as tall
As I will ever be
And I feel terribly small
When my head works too hard
When you think with your chest
Theres not a thing that you dont see
Im hardly capable of half the damage
That I would like to do
........
So look at me, I pray to God
But curse too much to be considered true
Im just like me, Im just like me
So who the hell are you?
.......
And I borrow phrases from
Dusty faded record sleeves
The story is the same
Ive just personalized the name
.......
"Lapse"
.......
It's not as deep as it seems
And as unfair as it may be
I'm just here to remind you
Remind you not to forget to remember me
.......
I'm predisposed to trust a photograph
To portray the way you used to laugh
........
Now I've dodged your questions so much,
I don't possess the strength
To answer straight
And no, I'm not afraid,
At least not to die
I'm afraid to live, and not remember why
Sweet chemical indifference,
I can't stop, can't change the evident
........

No comments:

Post a Comment